For over decades, chemists and scientists all over the world have tried to solve the challenge of developing strong bioresorbable material that can be used for medical implants. The breakthrough is a reality now and our customers can commercialize their visions for strong solid bioresorbable implants using the ABMcomposite technology and technical support from Arctic Biomaterials.
The ABMcomposite technology combines already clinically approved bioresorbable polymers in unique way. The reinforcement is ultra-thin bioresorbable natural mineral fibers with good adhesion to the commercially available bioresorbable polymers.
ABM supplies bioresorbable composite materials in raw material form and provides implant feasibility, development and manufacturing services. All manufacturing and services are carried out under a certified quality management system in accordance with the ISO 13485 Medical device standard.
“ISO 13485:2003 specifies requirements for a quality management system where an organization needs to demonstrate its ability to provide medical devices and related services that consistently meet customer requirements and regulatory requirements applicable to medical devices and related services.”
Products and Services
Implant grade bioresorbable composite raw materials
As a medical partner, Arctic Biomaterials offers a comprehensive range of next-generation Evolvemer™ and Evolvecomp™ materials for injection molding, extrusion or compression molding, thus allowing for the use of strong bioresorbable materials in more demanding applications. In order to help our customers achieve their objectives, our team of experts provides the best technical support and knowledge.
The commonly known disadvantages of bioresorbable polymers, i.e. tunable degradation profile and their lack of mechanical properties, are no longer an issue.
(1) Salmoria G. V. et al. Properties of injection-molded poly (L-co-D, L-lactic acid) using different melt temperatures and stress concentrator in the specimen geometry. The International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology (2018).
(2) Perego G. et al. Effect of molecular weight and crystallinity on poly(lactic acid) mechanical properties. Journal of Applied Polymer Science 59, 37-43, 1996.
Arctic Biomaterials has long history in bioresorbable medical device development and offers:
- Implant design development
- Prototypes with 3D printing or injection molding
- Testing and feasibility projects
- Full R&D projects with documentation in accordance with ISO 13485
- Pilot manufaturing
Clean room manufacturing
Arctic Biomaterials provides ISO Class 7 clean room manufacturing. Our in-house processing equipment capabilities include:
- Compounding for composite materials
- Injection molding
- Compression molding
- CNC machining
- Laser cutting